Visit La Rochelle
Discover La Rochelle
Take advantage of your stay at the campsite L’Abri Côtier to discover La Rochelle on the Atlantic coast off the Pertuis d’Antioche.
Admire the treasures of La Rochelle and let yourself be told the history of this city closely linked to the sea.
Labeled “City of Art and History”, La Rochelle has preserved and enhanced its rich historical and architectural heritage.
Some ideas for visits to La Rochelle:
- The historic center and its streets lined with half-timbered houses covered with slate and Renaissance facades,
- The Lantern Tower, the St. Nicholas Tower and the Chain Tower on the Old Port (fourteenth and fifteenth centuries),
- The Town Hall classified as a historical monument,
- The gate of the Big Clock, a Gothic tower once fortification then belfry of the city,
- The Church of Saint Sauveur, jewel of the classical architecture of La Rochelle,
- The Saint-Louis cathedral which recalls the style of the cathedral of Versailles and denotes the typical architecture of La Rochelle,
- The cloister of the White Ladies, convent of the seventeenth century,
- The market of La Rochelle under the halls of the nineteenth century : local products and authentic atmosphere,
- The Marans canal, an ideal historical axis for a river cruise or bike tourism that connects the Marais Poitevin to La Rochelle…
If you want to explore La Rochelle in every nook and cranny, follow the guide on a guided tour organized by the tourist office. You will discover the most beautiful monuments of La Rochelle. More unusual, travel around the city in a horse-drawn carriage !
Good to know: the Tourist Passes allow you to visit La Rochelle at reduced rates. Check with the tourist office.